[adjective round-uh-bout, round-uh-bout; noun round-uh-bout]
- circuitous or indirect, as a road, journey, method, statement or person.
- (of clothing) cut circularly at the bottom; having no tails, train, or the like.
- a short, close-fitting coat or jacket worn by men or boys, especially in the 19th century.
- British. a merry-go-round.
- a circuitous or indirect road, method, etc.
- Chiefly British. traffic circle.
Origin of roundabout
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. meandering, twisting, rambling, tortuous.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for roundabout
It would be an awfully complicated and roundabout way of garnering Heisman goodwill.Three Theories on Manti Te’o
January 17, 2013
As rebel cars circled a roundabout, Shabiha gunmen opened fire.Syria’s Assault on Aleppo Stalls
August 1, 2012
I have no idea what's next," said activist Nadine Wahab, as she stood in the roundabout, called the "medan.Egypt in Chaos as Protesters Call for Military Council to Transfer Power
November 20, 2011
Back he went, and he got shot in the stomach and rushed to nearby Salmaniya Hospital, closest to the roundabout.Inside Bahrain's Bloody Revolt
February 17, 2011
The war had a direct impact on M.I.A. becoming a recording artist, though in a bit of a roundabout way.M.I.A. Goes to War
January 30, 2009
Then by a roundabout route they started on their return to the car.Her Father's Daughter
This is ingenious, but her proof, after that, is (as she candidly admits) "clumsy and roundabout."A Tangled Tale
But in a roundabout way I did get some news as to what happened.The Stark Munro Letters
J. Stark Munro
Before the night was out, however, I had gone to work in a roundabout way.The Woman Thou Gavest Me
What need of this roundabout, mysterious mode of communicating?The Daltons, Volume I (of II)
Charles James Lever
- British a revolving circular platform provided with wooden animals, seats, etc, on which people ride for amusement; merry-go-round
- a road junction in which traffic streams circulate around a central islandUS and Canadian name: traffic circle
- an informal name for boring mill
- indirect or circuitous; devious
- on all sidesspectators standing round about
- approximatelyat round about 5 o'clock
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for roundabout
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper