- a member of a nomadic aboriginal people of southern Africa.
- any of more than a dozen related Khoisan languages spoken by the San.
Also called Bushman.
- a river in central Europe, flowing from the Carpathian Mountains in W Ukraine through SE Poland into the Vistula: battles 1914–15. About 280 miles (450 km) long.
- a suffix used in Japanese as a term of respect after names or titles: Suzuki-san; samurai-san.
Origin of -san
< Japanese, contraction of -sama suffix denoting direction, appearance, respect
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for san
San Francisco was the first city to pass one in 2006; since then, 14 other cities and three states have followed suit.Christie Blames Parents for Bad Economy
January 3, 2015
And now Portland, Los Angeles, and San Francisco are all suing Uber for refusing to play by their old regulatory playbooks.Why Do ‘Progressives’ Want to Ban Uber and AirBnB?
Adam Thierer, Christopher Koopman
December 30, 2014
Race is the San Andreas Fault of our culture as well as our history.The Wildly Peaceful, Human, Almost Boring, Ultimately Great New York City Protests for Eric Garner
December 8, 2014
Last year in San Diego, they sported bloody pants and angry signs.Anti-Cutters Slam New CDC Recommendations on Circumcision
December 3, 2014
Lynchburg is a six-month-old German sausage and ale house in the heart of Panama's San Francisco neighborhood.House of the Witch: The Renegade Craft Brewers of Panama
November 30, 2014
I think this is what San Lucas has been doing for you, after all.
You must have lost that sketch after you reached San Francisco.
When she arrived at San Francisco she found that the enclosed sheet was missing.
"As you did when you decoyed me on board the San Antonio," said Betty.
When they reached Bonanza the sun was low, and when they were off San Lucar it had begun to sink.
- old-fashioned, informal short for sanatorium
- an aboriginal people of southern Africa
- a group of the Khoisan languages, spoken mostly by Bushmen
- a river in E central Europe, rising in W Ukraine and flowing northwest across SE Poland to the Vistula River. Length: about 450 km (280 miles)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for san
Japanese honorific title, 1878, short form of more formal sama.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- sinoatrial node
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.