- of or relating to health or the conditions affecting health, especially with reference to cleanliness, precautions against disease, etc.
- favorable to health; free from dirt, bacteria, etc.: a sanitary washroom.
- providing healthy cleanliness: a sanitary wrapper on all sandwiches.
Origin of sanitary
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for sanitary
He crosses the street and begins sweeping in front of the Sanitary Bedding Company.Stanley Booth on the Life and Hard Times of Blues Genius Furry Lewis
June 7, 2014
When FLOs purchase a toilet, they agree to keep it well-stocked with sanitary products like toilet paper and soap.Toilet Made for Densely Populated Settlements Turns Waste Into Dollars
April 5, 2014
Sanitary operations alone required 7,400 Port-a-Potties that collected the equivalent of three Olympic-size pools of pee.Rio's Unprecedented New Surveillance System
October 15, 2011
But that's the Jersey Shore cast way—always keeping it classy and sanitary.9 Great Jersey Shore Moments
Sujay Kumar, The Daily Beast Video
July 28, 2010
No implausible publication with “interpolated essays on the virtues of sanitary improvement” is beyond his sight.The Best of Brit Lit
August 20, 2009
Take the case of a doctor who devotes himself to sanitary science.The Stark Munro Letters
J. Stark Munro
Sanitary restrictions, seemingly so necessary in hot climates, were unheard of.The Negro Farmer
The Sanitary Commission I preside over is not in favour with the populace.Nostromo: A Tale of the Seaboard
Our law-makers control the sanitary conditions and pay of teachers.
It is possible that this rule may have had its origin in a sanitary precaution.
- of or relating to health and measures for the protection of health
- conducive to or promoting health; free from dirt, germs, etc; hygienic
Word Origin and History for sanitary
1823, "pertaining to health," from French sanitaire (1812), from Latin sanitas "health," from sanus "healthy; sane" (see sane). In reference to menstrual pads, first attested 1881 (in sanitary towel).
- Of or relating to health.
- Free from elements, such as filth or pathogens, that endanger health; hygienic.