- Anthony Ashley Cooper, 1st Earl of,1621–83, English statesman.
- Anthony Ashley Cooper, 3rd Earl of,1671–1713, English moral philosopher (grandson of Anthony Ashley Cooper, 1st Earl of Shaftesbury).
- Anthony Ashley Cooper, 7th Earl of,1801–85, English philanthropist.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for shaftesbury
If ridicule, as Shaftesbury says, be the test of truth, Joseph Hume stood the test well.Self-Help
Shaftesbury met the king's defiance with as bold a defiance of his own.
The temper of the Commons was as bitter as Shaftesbury had hoped.
But prisoner as Shaftesbury was, the struggle with him was not yet over.
The flight of Shaftesbury proclaimed the triumph of the king.
- 1st Earl of, title of Anthony Ashley Cooper. 1621–83, English statesman, a major figure in the Whig opposition to Charles II
- 7th Earl of, title of Anthony Ashley Cooper. 1801–85, English evangelical churchman and social reformer. He promoted measures to improve conditions in mines (1842), factories (1833; 1847; 1850), and schools
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012