- a hand puppet made out of a sock.
- a person or group whose actions are controlled by another; a puppet.
- Also called sock.a false name or identity assumed by an Internet user, often to communicate favorable or self-serving comments or used to create a mythical rival with whom that user can successfully argue online.
- Also called sock, sock account.an online user account created for such purposes.
Also sock·pup·pet [sok-puhp-it] /ˈsɒkˌpʌp ɪt/.
Origin of sock puppet
1959 for def 1; 1990–95 for def 2
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a simple puppet made from a sock and worn over one hand
- an extra online identity created by a member of a discussion forum, etc, to agree with opinions submitted under his or her usual online name
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012