- the state of being solicitous; anxiety or concern.
- solicitudes, causes of anxiety or care.
- an attitude expressing excessive attentiveness: to show great solicitude about his wife's health.
Origin of solicitude
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for solicitude
The object of her solicitude entered in dressing-gown and slippers.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
Master was vexed and anxious—almost angry, and yet full of solicitude.To be Read at Dusk
The solicitude of the disciples on this occasion was highly laudable.Female Scripture Biographies, Vol. II
Francis Augustus Cox
Meanwhile, the object of their solicitude tossed and burned on his bed of pain.The Gentleman From Indiana
Her solicitude was no less manifest when she brought me rats or mice.Concerning Cats
Helen M. Winslow
- the state or quality of being solicitous
- (often plural) something that causes anxiety or concern
- anxiety or concern
Word Origin and History for solicitude
early 15c., from Middle French solicitude (Modern French sollicitude), and directly from Latin sollicitudinem (nominative solicitudo) "anxiety, uneasiness of mind," noun of state from past participle stem of solicitare (see solicit).