[south-eest; Nautical sou-eest]
- the point or direction midway between south and east. Abbreviation: SE
- a region in this direction.
- (initial capital letter) the southeast region of the United States.
- lying toward, situated in, or directed toward the southeast.
- coming from the southeast, as a wind.
- in the direction midway between south and east.
Origin of southeast
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for southeast
Malaysian-based entrepreneur Tony Fernandes has turned AirAsia into the most successful low cost airline in southeast Asia.Annoying Airport Delays Might Prevent You From Becoming the Next AirAsia 8501
January 6, 2015
It is very popular in Southeast Asia and has had massive growth.The Presumed Crash of AirAsia Flight QZ8501 Is Nothing Like MH370
December 29, 2014
While fighting has lessened, Ukrainian soldiers continue to die in the country's southeast.Corruption Eats Away at Ukraine Military
October 21, 2014
The involvement of Huda-Par and the Grey Wolves in the violence rocking the southeast augurs badly.Kobani is Falling to ISIS in Syria. Kurd Protests Explode in Turkey.
October 10, 2014
Wilderness was what I needed most in those days, after returning from war in Southeast Asia.American Wilderness Faces the Firing Squad
July 6, 2014
“He should be on the southeast side,” said McBain, and rode off in that direction.The Law-Breakers
To the southeast of it was a section known as the Labyrinth.
At last came a southeast gale and the San Jose drove before it.Keziah Coffin
Joseph C. Lincoln
Southeast of Brzezany the battle continued with less intensity.
Clemente Island rose a dark, long, barren, lonely land to the southeast.Tales of Fishes
- the point of the compass or the direction midway between south and east, 135° clockwise from north
- (often cap usually preceded by the) any area lying in or towards this direction
- (sometimes capital) of or denoting the southeastern part of a specified country, area, etc
- situated in, proceeding towards, or facing the southeast
- (esp of the wind) from the southeast
- in, to, towards, or (esp of the wind) from the southeast
- the Southeast the southeastern part of Britain, esp the London area
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for southeast
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper