- full of or abounding in stones or rock: a stony beach.
- pertaining to or characteristic of stone.
- resembling or suggesting stone, especially in its hardness.
- unfeeling; merciless; obdurate: a stony heart.
- motionless or rigid; without expression, as the eyes or a look: a hard, stony stare.
- petrifying; stupefying: stony fear.
- having a stone or stones, as fruit.
- Slang. stone-broke.
Origin of stony
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. rocky, pebbly. 4. adamant, hard, flinty, pitiless, inflexible, unbending.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for stony
Rey, after sitting for long hours in stony silence, eventually gave the police her last name.The Mad Shooter of Paris Is a ‘Natural Born Killer’
November 21, 2013
Sara Sonnack, a Stony Brook journalism major who will be a senior next year, says she hopes she can make the trip.NYC Auction Held to Raise Funds for Stony Brook’s New Marie Colvin Center
June 22, 2012
Havel was a hero who shrugged off the title, understandably uncomfortable with the assumptions of stony perfection.John Avlon: Vaclav Havel's Heroic Politics of Truth and Responsibility
December 19, 2011
She recalled the time they had walked together its stony beaches–and when Lee had lost his keys among the rocks.Inside Alexander McQueen's Memorial
September 20, 2010
The stony silence of IRS is compelling thousands of us to hire tax counsel and to proceed at our own risk and expense.How the Government Screwed Madoff Victims Again
March 8, 2009
The ground is stony, and scarce any thing but gravel, mixt with a little earth.The History of Louisiana
Le Page Du Pratz
But it was Stony Mountain that was of most importance to the British.
At this time, young Dunlap was introduced to the stony paths of playwriting.Andr
To his further remonstrances she interposed a stony silence.
His horrible pleading fell on stony ears, and he changed his tune.
- of or resembling stone
- abounding in stone or stones
- unfeeling, heartless, or obdurate
- short for stony-broke
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for stony
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper