- pertaining to, characterized by, or of the nature of strategy: strategic movements.
- important in or essential to strategy.
- (of an action, as a military operation or a move in a game) forming an integral part of a stratagem: a strategic move in a game of chess.
- intended to render the enemy incapable of making war, as by the destruction of materials, factories, etc.: a strategic bombing mission.
- essential to the conduct of a war: Copper is a strategic material.
Origin of strategic
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
2. opportune, critical, key, principal, crucial.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for strategically
Ouagadougou, the capital of Burkina Faso, is home to a strategically important base for Pentagon surveillance missions.An African Dictatorship’s Friend in D.C.
Center for Public Integrity
November 20, 2014
Strategically, this turning of the Cotentin corner was very important.Blood in the Sand: When James Jones Wrote a Grunt’s View of D-Day
November 15, 2014
ISIS was never close to overrunning this strategically crucial location, Iraqi officials claim.Iraqis Swear: Baghdad Airport is Safe From ISIS
October 13, 2014
Pants were removed, chairs were put in place, laptops were strategically positioned on the edge of the bed, and we got to work.I Tried Cosmo’s Lesbian Sex Tips and They Were Terrible
July 30, 2014
Two months later, ISIS captured the strategically important city of Fallujah in Anbar province.Why the White House Ignored All Those Warnings About ISIS
July 6, 2014
Geographically and strategically considered, it is a curious place.Captain Blood
Is there anything like it, strategically and trade wise, in the East?East of Suez
Frederic Courtland Penfield
Strategically there was still less reason for underrating it.The Riddle of the Sands
It was now clear that his position was strategically most unfavourable.The River War
Winston S. Churchill
It is not strategically located (it is all but inaccessible).After the Rain
- of, relating to, or characteristic of strategy
- important to a strategy or to strategy in general
- (of weapons, attacks, etc) directed against an enemy's homeland rather than used on a battlefielda strategic missile; strategic bombing
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for strategically
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper