- unfermented or partly fermented grape juice.
- wine in which increased fermentation has taken place because of the addition of stum.
- to increase the fermentation of (wine) by adding stum.
Origin of stum
1650–60; < Dutch stom dumb, dull; compare French vin muet, German stummer Wein, in the same sense
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for stum
From the violent red of his nose and cheeks it could easily be seen that he had been making rather too free with the stum.
But mayhap thou wouldst first down a flitch of bacon and a tankard or so of stum?
- a less common word for must 3
- partly fermented wine added to fermented wine as a preservative
- to preserve (wine) by adding stum
C17: from Dutch stom dumb; related to German stumm
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012