- money given in advance to a new soldier, employee, etc., to buy food, clothing, and pay for other necessities while awaiting a first pay.
- money paid a worker in addition to salary to cover expenses that may be incurred in the performance of the job.
- money paid to members of the armed forces in lieu of meals; an allowance for food.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- an advance paid to an employee before his pay begins
- a payment to an employee to reimburse expenses, as while on assignments
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012