- a former county in SE England: divided into East Sussex and West Sussex.
- one of an English breed of red beef cattle.
- one of an English breed of chickens, raised chiefly for marketing as roasters.
- a kingdom of the Anglo-Saxon heptarchy in SE England.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for sussex
Davies is a freelancer “so I hide out in my study down in deepest Sussex.”Murdoch on the Rocks: How a Lone Reporter Revealed the Mogul's Tabloid Terror Machine
August 25, 2014
But the first time I remember was at Sussex Camp for Underprivileged Jewish Children.Mel Brooks Is Always Funny and Often Wise in This 1975 Playboy Interview
February 16, 2014
In fact, the Brighton branch is being set up by Anita and Stuart Balkham, a married couple who live in Sussex.Sunday Assembly Is the Hot New Atheist Church
September 21, 2013
He then drove hell for leather to Uckfield, Sussex, where he had some whiskey with his friend Susan Maxwell-Scott.Lord Lucan’s Whereabouts: The Tabloid Rebirth of a Decades-Old Crime
February 25, 2012
The most noted is the clergy-house at Alfriston, Sussex, which has been carefully preserved.English Villages
P. H. Ditchfield
His ancestors had long been large landed proprietors in Sussex.A Dish Of Orts
So we rattled through Surrey and across the border into Sussex.Monday or Tuesday
If you are down in Sussex and I chance to be there I should be glad to have you play an eighteen with me.Kent Knowles: Quahaug
Joseph C. Lincoln
But in 1540 he wrested it from him, and regranted it to Robert, Earl of Sussex.Hampstead and Marylebone
Geraldine Edith Mitton
- (until 1974) a county of SE England, now divided into the separate counties of East Sussex and West Sussex
- (in Anglo-Saxon England) the kingdom of the South Saxons, which became a shire of the kingdom of Wessex in the early 9th century a.d
- a breed of red beef cattle originally from Sussex
- a heavy and long-established breed of domestic fowl used principally as a table bird