- capable of being supported or upheld, as by having its weight borne from below.
- pertaining to a system that maintains its own viability by using techniques that allow for continual reuse: sustainable agriculture. Aquaculture is a sustainable alternative to overfishing.
- able to be maintained or kept going, as an action or process: a sustainable negotiation between the two countries.
- able to be confirmed or upheld: a sustainable decision.
- able to be supported as with the basic necessities or sufficient funds: a sustainable life.
Origin of sustainable
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for sustainable
There will be a lot of talk about “sustainable” development, but so far that has been elusive.Goodbye, Bahamas. Hello, Havana!
December 18, 2014
So can Colombians finally dream of a lasting and sustainable peace in 2015?Did The U.S.-Cuba Deal Help Drive A Rebel Ceasefire in Colombia?
December 18, 2014
Islanders calling for sustainable tourism options may be too late.Uncovering the Secrets of St. Kitts
Debra A. Klein
June 21, 2014
Frankly speaking, we do not see any other way for sustainable development of the Ukrainian state other than a federal state.Putin Can Take Ukraine Without an Invasion, and Probably Will
April 12, 2014
They might actually have a sustainable business model if that were the case.‘Is It Really News?': Cable Journos Squirm Over Flight 370 Overload
March 20, 2014
It sounds crazy, and only time will tell whether it proves to be sustainable.Makers</p>
This year, we must also do more to support democratic renewal and human rights and sustainable development all around the world.
Niebuhrs inference against a blood connection from Ciceros definition is not sustainable.Ancient Society</p>
Lewis Henry Morgan
- capable of being sustained
- (of economic development, energy sources, etc) capable of being maintained at a steady level without exhausting natural resources or causing severe ecological damagesustainable development
- (of economic growth) non-inflationary
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for sustainable
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper