- an ancient city in Upper Egypt, on the Nile, whose ruins are located in the modern towns of Karnak and Luxor: a former capital of Egypt.
- a city of ancient Greece, in Boeotia: a rival of ancient Athens.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for thebaic
Of the Thebaic version only some fragments have been published.
The temple of Amphiaraus was transferred by command of an oracle to this place from the Thebaic Cnopia.
Some fragments of a third version, differing from both the Memphitic and the Thebaic, have been discovered.
- of or relating to the ancient Greek city of Thebes or its inhabitants
- of or relating to the ancient Egyptian city of Thebes or its inhabitants
- (in ancient Greece) the chief city of Boeotia, destroyed by Alexander the Great (336 bc)
- (in ancient Egypt) a city on the Nile: at various times capital of Upper Egypt or of the entire country
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012