- an ancient city in Upper Egypt, on the Nile, whose ruins are located in the modern towns of Karnak and Luxor: a former capital of Egypt.
- a city of ancient Greece, in Boeotia: a rival of ancient Athens.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for theban
I would except Simmias the Theban, but all the rest are far behind you.Phaedrus
The city, with the help of the commons, he was master of, but the Theban governor held the citadel.Hellenica
Epaminondas, the great Theban general who fell at Mantinea, 362 b.c.The Apologia and Florida of Apuleius of Madaura
The loss of the Theban army was not more than three hundred men.Historic Tales, vol 10 (of 15)
Most famous of all Theban architecture, it is still mighty in its ruins.
- of or relating to the ancient Greek city of Thebes or its inhabitants
- of or relating to the ancient Egyptian city of Thebes or its inhabitants
- a native or inhabitant of Thebes
- (in ancient Greece) the chief city of Boeotia, destroyed by Alexander the Great (336 bc)
- (in ancient Egypt) a city on the Nile: at various times capital of Upper Egypt or of the entire country
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012