Origin of TV
- Charles Jones,1866–1918, Chinese merchant (father of Ai-ling, Ch'ing-ling, Mei-ling, and Tse-ven Soong).
- Ai-ling [ahy-ling] /ˈaɪˈlɪŋ/, 1888–1973, wife of H. H. Kung.
- Ching-ling or Ch’ing-ling [ching-ling] /ˈtʃɪŋˈlɪŋ/, 1892–1981, widow of Sun Yat-sen.
- Mei-ling or Mayling [mey-ling] /ˈmeɪˈlɪŋ/, Madame Chiang Kai-Shek, 1897–2003, wife of Chiang Kai-shek.
- Tse-ven or Tzu-wen [tsoo -wuhn] /ˈtsʊˈwʌn/, T.V., 1894–1971, Chinese financier.
Examples from the Web for tv
“Someone is determined to keep Bill Cosby off TV,” she continued.Phylicia Rashad and the Cult of Cosby Truthers
January 8, 2015
The resources were what you might expect: Dining room, a media center, a library, a TV room, a meeting room, a computer room.His First Day Out Of Jail After 40 Years: Adjusting To Life Outside
January 3, 2015
“In America 100 percent of men have free sexual relations after marriage,” he said in another speech, which was aired on TV.50 Shades of Iran: The Mullahs’ Kinky Fantasies about Sex in the West
IranWire, Shima Sharabi
January 1, 2015
Turn off the TV, put down your phone, and log off the computer.Why Your New Year’s Diet Will Fail
December 30, 2014
It treats touchscreens and TV programs as just one more way to introduce toddlers to animals, colors, and other concepts.Yes, Your Toddler Can Watch TV: The New Rules for Screen Time
December 26, 2014
"I'm tired of that game," she said, giving the TV set a bored glance.The Aggravation of Elmer
Robert Andrew Arthur
"Crazy fraternities," muttered Melinda, turning on the TV set.Teething Ring
He recognized the man from his news photos and TV appearances.Damned If You Don't
Gordon Randall Garrett
Children growing up with TV miss the experience of movement.
There is so much more after TV, even on 500 channels and after video-on-demand!
- an influential Chinese family, notably Soong Ch'ing-ling (1890–1981), who married Sun Yat-sen and became a vice-chairman of the People's Republic of China (1959); and Soong Mei-ling (1898-2003), who married Chiang Kai-shek
Word Origin and History for tv
1948, shortened form of television (q.v.). TV dinner (1954) is a proprietary name registered by Swanson & Sons, Omaha, Nebraska, U.S.