- impossible to account for; unexplained; inexplicable: The boat has an unaccountable tendency to yaw.
- exempt from being called to account; not answerable: As a subordinate, he is unaccountable for errors in policy.
Origin of unaccountable
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. incomprehensible, inscrutable, mysterious, unintelligible. 2. unanswerable, irresponsible.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unaccountable
And the new channels tend to be underground, indirect, and unaccountable.
And then cue the 501(c)(4) nonprofits, which are also unaccountable and almost totally opaque, as conduits for secret giving.
Eleven unaccountable federal judges cannot make these monumental decisions in secret ex parte proceedings.The Secret FISA Court Must Go
Jennifer Granick, Christopher Sprigman
July 24, 2013
Netanyahu and Lieberman believe they are unaccountable because they have never been called to account.How Obama Can Get Tough With Bibi
December 5, 2012
In Iran, we see where the path of a violent and unaccountable ideology leads.Full Text of Obama's Speech to the UN -- Update: Video Added
September 25, 2012
The unaccountable change in Eudora's character perplexed and troubled her.Philothea
Lydia Maria Child
It made a body feel creepy, it was so curious and unaccountable.Tom Sawyer Abroad
Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)
This was Evadna in a new and unaccountable mood, it seemed to him.Good Indian
B. M. Bower
That is all I can tell you of that unaccountable being, myself.The Letters of Robert Burns
He accepted it as he accepted all the unaccountable doings and manifestations of the gods.White Fang
- allowing of no explanation; inexplicable
- puzzling; extraordinaryan unaccountable fear of hamburgers
- not accountable or answerable to
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for unaccountable
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper