- suitable or ready for use; of use or service; at hand: I used whatever tools were available.
- readily obtainable; accessible: available resources.
- having sufficient power or efficacy; valid.
- Archaic. efficacious; profitable; advantageous.
Origin of available
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. accessible, usable, handy.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unavailable
She has yet to relinquish her anonymity and is unavailable for any comment.Alleged U.Va. Abductor Accused of Rape at Christian College
September 28, 2014
For all intents and purposes, sodium thiopental is now unavailable in the United States.Pennsylvania’s Lethal Injection Fiasco
September 18, 2014
Volnovakha Mayor Sergey Denchenko said through a secretary that he was unavailable to speak to reporters.Pro-Russian Rebels Brag Kiev Is Next
September 2, 2014
Minutes of City Council meetings that are usually online are unavailable.From Ferguson Cop Embroiled in a Brutality Suit to City Councilwoman
August 20, 2014
A spokesman for Dole said the former Senate majority leader and presidential nominee was unavailable for comment.Bob Dole Says Rob Portman Won’t Support Disabilities Treaty Because He Supports Gay Marriage
July 23, 2014
It had been broken off, and this means of egress was unavailable.The Dare Boys of 1776
Stephen Angus Cox
If the photophore is unavailable, a hot-water bottle may be applied.The Mother and Her Child
William S. Sadler
I mailed it next day to the Knickerbocker, with stamps for return if unavailable.Eben Holden
Three more were unavailable while their damages were being slowly repaired.Famous Sea Fights
John Richard Hale
He has been abused about the western banks and the unavailable funds.Thirty Years' View (Vol. I of 2)
Thomas Hart Benton
- not obtainable or accessibleunavailable for comment
- obtainable or accessible; capable of being made use of; at hand
- US politics derogatory suitable for public office, usually as a result of having an inoffensive characterSmith was a particularly available candidate
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for unavailable
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper