- not faithful; false to duty, obligation, or promises; faithless; disloyal.
- not sexually faithful to a spouse or lover.
- not accurate or complete; inexact: an unfaithful translation.
- Obsolete. unbelieving; infidel.
Origin of unfaithful
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. untrustworthy, deceitful, treacherous, recreant. 3. imprecise, untrue.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unfaithful
The most obvious being their unfaithful husbands, but that really is the least of it.Channeling Eleanor
September 9, 2014
Voronov previously alleged texting proof that Weir had been unfaithful.Does Your Marriage Need a Digital Privacy Clause?
April 17, 2014
Douglas, who played the unfaithful lawyer in the film, was the only one happy to compromise.Return of the Bunny Boiler: Fatal Attraction’s World Stage Premiere
March 26, 2014
Off stage, he was an unfaithful husband, a neglectful father, and a friend only so long as you did what he wanted.Wheeere’s Johnny?
October 13, 2013
What they'll likely remember is that Unfaithful scene—you know the one.Is Diane Lane Too Sexy for Hillary?
July 29, 2013
While men are often unfaithful to their covenant, God never is.An Explanation of Luther's Small Catechism
He would be as unfaithful to you as he has been to his trust in the bank.Thoroughbreds
W. A. Fraser
It is ten times better for a woman to marry an unfaithful than a jealous husband.The Sexual Question
It is lawful for the body to have its desires and its loves, but not to be promiscuous and unfaithful.The Golden Fountain
He wondered if it was true that there had been love between these two, and she had been unfaithful.The Treasure Trail
Marah Ellis Ryan
- not true to a promise, vow, etc
- not true to a wife, husband, lover, etc, esp in having sexual intercourse with someone else
- inaccurate; inexact; unreliable; untrustworthyunfaithful copy
- obsolete not having religious faith; infidel
- obsolete not upright; dishonest
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for unfaithful
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper