- not fit; not adapted or suited; unsuitable: He was unfit for his office.
- unqualified or incompetent.
- not physically fit or in due condition.
- Biology. pertaining to an organism or population that is not adapted to prevailing conditions or is not producing offspring in sufficient numbers to maintain its contribution to the gene pool of the next generation.
- to render unfit or unsuitable; disqualify.
Origin of unfit
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. inappropriate, unapt. 2. incapable.
- made so as to follow closely the contours of a form or shape: fitted clothes; fitted sheets.
Origin of fitted
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unfitted
His fancy on the subject is a wild one, though not unfitted for the poet.Leading Articles on Various Subjects
Children who live away from home are unfitted for domestic life.Mary Wollstonecraft
Elizabeth Robins Pennell
For the law, diplomacy had unfitted him; for diplomacy he already knew too much.The Education of Henry Adams
I shall show that the sordidness of the struggle has not unfitted me to use the victory.The Plum Tree
David Graham Phillips
The eccentricities of John Randolph unfitted him for leadership.Albert Gallatin
John Austin Stevens
- unsuitableunused to and unfitted for any form of manual labour
- designed for excellent fita fitted suit
- (of a carpet) cut, sewn, or otherwise adapted to cover a floor completely
- (of furniture) built to fit a particular spacea fitted cupboard
- (of a room) equipped with fitted furniturea fitted kitchen
- (of sheets) having ends that are elasticated and shaped to fit tightly over a mattress
- having accessory parts
- (postpositive often foll by for) unqualified, incapable, or incompetentunfit for military service
- (postpositive often foll by for) unsuitable or inappropriatethe ground was unfit for football
- in poor physical condition
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for unfitted
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper