- a condition resulting from the retention in the blood of constituents normally excreted in the urine.
Origin of uremia
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for uraemia
Eclampsia is a very grave complication of pregnancy, and it was formerly supposed to be uraemia.Essays In Pastoral Medicine
Some of these effects are seen in every form of severe kidney disease, and uraemia may occur in any advanced kidney disease.
Uraemia is a toxic condition, and three varieties of it are recognized—the acute, the chronic and the latent.
- pathol the accumulation of waste products, normally excreted in the urine, in the blood: causes severe headaches, vomiting, etcAlso called: azotaemia
C19: from New Latin, from Greek ouron urine + haima blood
- the usual US spelling of uraemia
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for uraemia
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The accumulation of urinary waste products in the blood.azotemia
- A toxic condition caused by uremia.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.