- a worker expected to serve in any capacity when called on.
- an actor of miscellaneous small parts.
- Baseball. a player who is not a regular and whose value lies in an ability to play several positions.
Origin of utility man
First recorded in 1850–55
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a worker who is expected to serve in any of several capacities
- an actor who plays any of numerous small parts
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012