- a program, movie, or other visual media product featuring moving images, with or without audio, that is recorded and saved digitally or on videocassette: Let's stay at home and watch a video.She used her phone to record a video of her baby's first steps.I spent all morning watching videos of cats online.
- the elements of television, as in a program or script, pertaining to the transmission or reception of the image (distinguished from audio).
- the video part of a television broadcast.
- Informal. videotape.
- Informal. television: She is a star of stage and video.
- music video.
- of or relating to the electronic apparatus for producing the television picture: video amplifier.
- of or relating to television, especially the visual elements.
- of or relating to videocassettes, VCRs, music videos, etc.: a video shop.
- pertaining to or employed in the transmission or reception of television pictures.
Origin of video
1930–35; < Latin vidē(re) to see + -o as in audio
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for video
Therefore, it is not possible for any F-35 schedule to include a video data link or infrared pointer at this point.Pentagon Misfires in Stealth Jet Scandal
January 8, 2015
That video of you doing all the New York impressions went viral.Coffee Talk with Fred Armisen: On ‘Portlandia,’ Meeting Obama, and Taylor Swift’s Greatness
January 7, 2015
Apart from the video, the Saraya Al-Khorasani group has made no official declaration that it is linked to Taghavi.What an Iranian Funeral Tells Us About the Wars in Iraq
January 6, 2015
The Italian foreign ministry has declined to comment on the video.Jihadis Release New Year’s Eve Video of Italian Female Hostages
Jamie Dettmer, Barbie Latza Nadeau
January 2, 2015
“A guy drives up in a 2008 Mercedes, brand new,” Harry S. Connelly Jr. says in the video, according to the Times.Are Police Stealing People’s Property?
Joan Blades, Matt Kibbe
January 2, 2015
Despite the agony, his gaze did not waver from the video set across the room.No Hiding Place
Richard R. Smith
Now Neon is better at real soccer than he is at video game soccer.FreeChildrenStories.com Collection
The new generation is more proficient in video games than in orthography.
This book is also available in video format and as a computer game.
I keyed for a video check of the interior of the lift as it started back up.Greylorn
John Keith Laumer
- relating to or employed in the transmission or reception of a televised image
- of, concerned with, or operating at video frequencies
- to record (a television programme, etc) on a video cassette recorder
C20: from Latin vidēre to see, on the model of audio
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for video
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper