- a temporary resident; visitor; guest.
- a visitor to a place of religious or sight-seeing interest; pilgrim.
- a being believed to come from the spirit world: a ghostly visitant.
- something, as a mood, feeling, emotion, etc., that overtakes a person from time to time: Melancholy is an occasional visitant to all.
- a migratory bird that has come to a place temporarily.
Origin of visitant
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. See visitor.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for visitant
Amidst this confusion of tongues I take another survey of my visitant.Yankee Gypsies
John Greenleaf Whittier
"I have no objection to a death-bed repentance," observed the visitant.
I shrieked, as I tried to press him against me, to my visitant.The Turn of the Screw
She already regards me as though I were a visitant from the other world.The Fixed Period</p>
The Prairie Falcon is an uncommon winter visitant in Coahuila.Birds from Coahuila, Mexico
Emil K. Urban
- a supernatural being; ghost; apparition
- a visitor or guest, usually from far away
- a pilgrim or tourist
- Also called: visitor a migratory bird that is present in a particular region only at certain timesa summer visitant
- archaic paying a visit; visiting
C16: from Latin vīsitāns going to see, from vīsitāre; see visit