- requiring that guests wear formal attire, especially that men wear white bow ties with formal evening dress: a white-tie embassy reception.
Origin of white-tie
First recorded in 1950–55
- formal evening dress for men (distinguished from black tie).
- a white bow tie for men, worn with formal evening dress.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a white bow tie worn as part of a man's formal evening dress
- formal evening dress for men
- (as modifier)a white-tie occasion
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012