- a state in the N central United States: a part of the Midwest. 56,154 sq. mi. (145,440 sq. km). Capital: Madison. Abbreviation: WI (for use with zip code), Wis., Wisc.
- a river flowing SW from N Wisconsin to the Mississippi. 430 miles (690 km) long.
- the fourth stage of the glaciation of North America during the Pleistocene.
Examples from the Web for wisconsin
Not to be left behind, progressives in neighboring Wisconsin clamored to join the cutting edge of public health.Anti-Fluoriders Are The OG Anti-Vaxxers
July 27, 2016
It’s cool because Trenchmouth opened for Green Day in the early ‘90s in Wisconsin.Coffee Talk with Fred Armisen: On ‘Portlandia,’ Meeting Obama, and Taylor Swift’s Greatness
January 7, 2015
Now Wisconsin is considering making it mandatory for parents who adopt overseas to have their children “re-adopted” in the state.Judge: Rehoming Kids Is Trafficking
December 30, 2014
That action ignited protests that rocked Wisconsin and spurred a recall—only the second recall of a governor in U.S. history.The Next Phase of the Koch Brothers’ War on Unions
Carl Deal and Tia Lessin
December 22, 2014
Case in point: when Loertscher was brought to court in Wisconsin, her 14-week-old fetus was granted a lawyer, but she was not.States Slap Pregnant Women With Harsher Jail Sentences
December 12, 2014
Mr. Martin then went to Detroit, where he worked a year on the steamboat Wisconsin.Cleveland Past and Present
In Wisconsin and Minnesota family clubs have been most successful.The Farmer and His Community
River-swamps in southern Indiana to Wisconsin, and southward.Trees of the Northern United States
Austin C. Apgar
I have just returned home from Maiden Rock, a little town in Wisconsin.
Of all the States, Wisconsin has been most deeply influenced by the Germans.The Frontier in American History
Frederick Jackson Turner
- a state of the N central US, on Lake Superior and Lake Michigan: consists of an undulating plain, with uplands in the north and west; over 168 m (550 ft) above sea level along the shore of Lake Michigan. Capital: Madison. Pop: 5 472 299 (2003 est). Area: 141 061 sq km (54 464 sq miles)Abbreviation: Wis., Wis, (with zip code) WI
- a river in central and SW Wisconsin, flowing south and west to the Mississippi. Length: 692 km (430 miles)
Word Origin and History for wisconsin
organized as a U.S. territory 1836; admitted as a state 1848. originally applied to the Wisconsin River; a native name of unknown origin. Early spellings include Mescousing and Wishkonsing.