[yoo-ahn; Chinese yyahn]
- the Mongol dynasty in China, 1260–1368, founded by Kublai Khan.
Also Pinyin, Yu·an.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the imperial dynasty of China from 1279 to 1368
- of or relating to the Chinese porcelain produced during the Yüan dynasty, characterized by the appearance of under-glaze blue-and-white ware
- a river in SE central China, rising in central Guizhou province and flowing northeast to Lake Tungting. Length: about 800 km (500 miles)
- the standard monetary unit of China, divided into 10 jiao and 100 fenAlso called: renminbi, renminbi yuan
from Chinese yüan round object; see yen 1
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for yüan
Chinese unit of currency introduced 1914, from Chinese yuan "round, round object, circle."
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper