- the second son of Adam and Eve, slain by his brother, Cain. Gen. 4.
- Sir Frederick Augustus,1827–1902, English chemist: inventor of cordite.
- I. W.,1908–87, U.S. labor leader: president of the United Steelworkers of America 1965–77.
- Niels Hen·rik [neels hen-rik] /nils ˈhɛn rɪk/, 1802–29, Norwegian mathematician.
- a male given name.
Examples from the Web for abel
Contemporary Examples of abel
Thus, like Michael Corleone, Abel is a man living with a paternal figure looming over his life.The Alterna-‘Godfather’: ‘A Most Violent Year’
December 30, 2014
Nine years later he joined Abel on one of the Red Wing forward lines.Gordie Howe Hockey’s Greatest War Horse
May 31, 2014
He was, understandably, in a sour mood as Patch creative director Abel Lenz began taking photos of him.Is Tim Armstrong the Lazarus of Aol.?
December 23, 2013
I am accountable for the way I handled the situation, and at a human level it was unfair to Abel.
Armstrong told Patch creative director Abel Lenz during a now infamous all-staff meeting and conference call earlier this month.
Historical Examples of abel
It was, all felt, a good thing to have a Mr. Abel in Georgetown.
O Abel, was that the something you told me about on the mountain?
A dream of a dress that would be, with all the shades of Madame Abel cunningly blended.The Incomplete Amorist
On kin of Cain was the killing avenged by sovran God for slaughtered Abel.Beowulf
Abel Calvin was in to see if you wanted to buy some beach plums for puttin' up.Cap'n Dan's Daughter
Joseph C. Lincoln
- Old Testament the second son of Adam and Eve, a shepherd, murdered by his brother Cain (Genesis 4:1–8)
masc. proper name, in Old Testament, second son of Adam and Eve, from Hebrew Hebhel, literally "breath," also "vanity."