- customary; usual; habitual: in their accustomed manner.
- habituated; acclimated (usually followed by to): accustomed to staying up late; accustomed to the noise of the subway.
Origin of accustomed
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
- to familiarize by custom or use; habituate: to accustom oneself to cold weather.
Origin of accustom
Examples from the Web for accustomed
And if the bird is smaller than we are accustomed to, so what?Confessions of a Turkey Killer
November 26, 2014
Once he got accustomed to his morphine dosages, his feelings of guilt kept him from falling asleep.The Stacks: The Judas Priest Teen Suicide Trial
June 28, 2014
The day is so sunny, so clear, that the natives, accustomed to clouds, find the silver-blue blaze almost disorienting.The Stacks: The Searing Story of How Murder Stalked a Tiny New York Town
E. Jean Carroll
April 19, 2014
Accustomed to being behind the scenes, you get the feeling Yellen is still adapting to her more public role.Janet Yellen Lauded at the Capitol for Women’s History Month
March 26, 2014
It is, in a way, a lighthearted routine with a dark subtext: many of those gathered are accustomed to failure at auditions.The Most Depressing Show on Earth: Amongst the Clowns of Newark
March 16, 2014
The mass was an ornate one, though not more so than they were accustomed to at Beaulieu.The Armourer's Prentices
Charlotte M. Yonge
Malbone knew the whole company, and greeted them with his accustomed ease.
"But Harry and Philip are here all the time," said Kate, the accustomed soother.
His horse, accustomed to a more open country, was continually at fault.Way of the Lawless
The afternoon was not spent as George had been accustomed to spend it.Life in London
- usual; customary
- (postpositive foll by to) used or inured (to)
- (postpositive foll by to) in the habit (of)accustomed to walking after meals
- (tr usually foll by to) to make (oneself) familiar (with) or used (to), as by practice, habit, or experience
Word Origin and History for accustomed
late 15c., "made customary, habitual," past participle adjective from accustom (v.).