verb (used with object), ac·ti·vat·ed, ac·ti·vat·ing.
- to render more reactive; excite: to activate a molecule.
- to induce radioactivity.
- to make (carbon, a catalyst, molecules, etc.) more active.
- to hasten (reactions) by various means, as heating.
Examples from the Web for activates
It activates your parasympathetic nervous system and tells your body to relax and recuperate.
It also has found a formula that activates and energizes hundreds of millions of people to believe in a better future.China’s Not the Big Trade Cheat Harming America’s Domestic Economy|Zachary Karabell|March 19, 2012|DAILY BEAST
The suggestion reaches your subconscious and activates you consciously to waken.A Practical Guide to Self-Hypnosis|Melvin Powers
British Dictionary definitions for activates
- to increase the rate of (a reaction)
- to treat (a substance, such as carbon or alumina) so as to increase powers of adsorption