- the name of the first man: husband of Eve and progenitor of the human race. Gen. 2:7; 5:1–5.
- A·dolphe Charles [a-dawlf sharl] /aˈdɔlf ʃarl/, 1803–56, French composer of comic opera and ballet music.
- James,1730–94, and his brother Robert, 1728–92, English architects and furniture designers.
- Lam·bert Si·gis·bert [lahn-ber see-zheez-ber] /lɑ̃ˈbɛr si ʒizˈbɛr/, 1700–59, and his brother Ni·cho·las Sé·bas·tien [nee-kaw-lah sey-bahs-tyan] /ni kɔˈlɑ seɪ bɑsˈtyɛ̃/, 1705–78, French sculptors.
- a male given name.
- of or relating to the style of architecture, decoration, or furnishings associated with Robert and James Adam, characterized by free adaptation of ancient Roman forms and interiors treated with delicate ornament generally painted in light, vivid colors.
- not know from Adam, to be unacquainted with: He says hello to us every morning, but we don't know him from Adam.
- the old Adam, the natural tendency toward sin: He attributed his wild outburst to the old Adam in him.
Origin of Adam
Examples from the Web for adam
Contemporary Examples of adam
The scenes between Johansson and Adam Pearson, a man with neurofibromatosis, are some of the most delicate and visceral this year.Oscars 2015: The Daily Beast’s Picks, From Scarlett Johansson to ‘Boyhood’
January 6, 2015
Adam Thierer is a senior research fellow with the Technology Policy Program at the Mercatus Center at George Mason University.Why Do ‘Progressives’ Want to Ban Uber and AirBnB?
Adam Thierer, Christopher Koopman
December 30, 2014
Nerd Cruise By Adam Rogers, Wired What 800 Nerds on a Cruise Ship Taught Me About Life, the Universe, and Snorkeling.The Daily Beast’s Best Longreads, Dec 22-28, 2014
December 28, 2014
“On Candyland, [Minghella] was just servicing Adam,” wrote Belgrad.Exclusive: Sony Emails Reveal How Studio Dumped ‘Asshole’ Adam Sandler
December 20, 2014
No crimes were committed by Sony with the possible exception of all those Adam Sandler movies they insist on making.The Disaster Story That Hollywood Had Coming
December 17, 2014
Historical Examples of adam
Such ideas as Paradise, Adam and Eve, and angels, are getting obsolete.
Why, there wasn't any drama in the world 'til Adam and Eve fell!The Foolish Lovers
St. John G. Ervine
True--but Adam would then have been another being, and not a man.
The sin of Adam and Eve involved the ruin of their posterity.
Adam might have been created immutable by a necessity of nature.
- Old Testament the first man, created by God: the progenitor of the human race (Genesis 2–3)
- not know someone from Adam to have no knowledge of or acquaintance with someone
- the old Adam the evil supposedly inherent in human nature
- (French adɑ̃) Adolphe. 1803–56, French composer, best known for his romantic ballet Giselle (1841)
- (ˈædəm) Robert. 1728–92, Scottish architect and furniture designer. Assisted by his brother, James, 1730–94, he emulated the harmony of classical and Italian Renaissance architecture
- in the neoclassical style made popular by Robert Adam
masc. proper name, Biblical name of the first man, from Hebrew adam "man," literally "(the one formed from the) ground" (Hebrew adamah "ground"); cf. Latin homo "man," humanus "human," humus "earth, ground, soil." To not know (someone) from Adam "not know him at all" is first recorded 1784.
see not know from Adam.