- a label, as an integer, symbol, or other set of characters, designating a location, register, etc., where information is stored in computer memory.
- a set of characters designating an email account: Her email address ends in “.net,” not “.com.”
- a set of characters designating the location of a website or a particular computer or other device on a network: He visits that website so often that its complete address comes up whenever he types its first letter into the address bar.See also URL
verb (used with object), ad·dressed, ad·dress·ing.
verb (used without object), ad·dressed or ad·drest, ad·dress·ing.Obsolete.
QUIZ YOURSELF ON "WAS" VS. "WERE"!
Origin of address
synonym study for address
OTHER WORDS FROM address
Example sentences from the Web for address
There are, however, systemic problems that must be addressed.
Christians should have addressed that conflict more forcefully over the holidays.
The trickiest items having been placed in the “freezer” to be addressed at a later date.Did The U.S.-Cuba Deal Help Drive A Rebel Ceasefire in Colombia?|Richard McColl|December 18, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The last time a Pope addressed the parliament in Strasbourg was in 1988 when an Iron Curtain still divided the continent.
In January, President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf addressed the country optimistically.
A distinguished-looking man, evidently vested with authority, bustled forward and addressed him, civilly enough.The Red Year|Louis Tracy
Then she put her anger from her; put from her, too, the insolence and scorn with which so lavishly she had addressed him hitherto.St. Martin's Summer|Rafael Sabatini
In bewilderment she brought the ark into the room, and read the letter addressed to Janet and herself.The Joyous Adventures of Aristide Pujol|William J. Locke
The old postman says it was insufficiently addressed, or it 'ud ha' been here by first post.Hilda Lessways|Arnold Bennett
My No. 4239 addressed to Maxwell and repeated to you was sent before receiving your telegram under reply.Gallipoli Diary, Volume I|Ian Hamilton
British Dictionary definitions for address
verb -dresses, -dressing or -dressed or obsolete, or poetic -drest (tr)
- to speak or write tohe addressed himself to the chairman
- to apply oneself tohe addressed himself to the task