- Usually adenoids. an enlarged mass of lymphoid tissue in the upper pharynx, often obstructing breathing through the nasal passages.
- of or relating to the lymph glands.
- of or relating to the adenoids.
Origin of adenoid
Related Words for adenoidsnout, beak, muzzle, snoot, proboscis, bill, nares, nostrils, adenoids, schnoz, snuffer, horn, sniffer, smeller
Examples from the Web for adenoid
Historical Examples of adenoid
A similar difficulty is experienced by children with adenoid growths.The Sounds of Spoken English
The tissue combining them is known as adenoid or gland-like tissue.A Practical Physiology
Albert F. Blaisdell
When this adenoid tissue grows abnormally large it forms what are known as "adenoids."
This cushion is formed of what doctors call "adenoid tissue" and is similar to that which makes up the tonsils.
A section through the nose and mouth: A, adenoid growth; P, soft palate; T, right tonsil.A Handbook of Health
- of or resembling a gland
- of or relating to lymphoid tissue, as that found in the lymph nodes, spleen, tonsils, etc
- of or relating to the adenoids
Word Origin for adenoid
- A lymphoid tissue growth located at the back of the nose in the upper part of the throat that when swollen may obstruct normal breathing and make speech difficult.
- adenoids Hypertrophy of the pharyngeal tonsil resulting from chronic inflammation.
- Of, relating to, or resembling lymphatic glands or lymphatic tissue.