- displaying or feeling admiration: admiring looks.
Origin of admiring
- to regard with wonder, pleasure, or approval.
- to regard with wonder or surprise (usually used ironically or sarcastically): I admire your audacity.
- to feel or express admiration.
- Dialect. to take pleasure; like or desire: I would admire to go.
- be admiring of, Chiefly South Midland and Southern U.S. to admire: He's admiring of his brother's farm.
Origin of admire
SynonymsSee more synonyms for admire on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for admiring
Is Kate checking out her competition, or admiring another leather jacket?
They are the subject of a new, admiring bestselling book, The Everything Store, by Brad Stone.Amazon Stock May Be Up, but the Company Still Doesn’t Make Any Money
October 25, 2013
Their research translated into phenomenal book sales and admiring features.Welcome to the Anarchy Economy
April 23, 2013
Not everybody was so admiring, and Martin was shot at least 23 times on nine occasions.Hit-and-Run Driver Julio Acevedo Talks, Suggests 50 Cent Connection
March 6, 2013
“I'm sorry, we're busy,” he mumbled, admiring bamboo place-mats.Is Bed Bath & Beyond a ‘Palace of Lies’? An Investigation.
February 27, 2013
There should be no institution out of the reach of an indignant or admiring humanity.Alarms and Discursions
G. K. Chesterton
You could count them by hundreds, and your eyes grew weary of admiring them.The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete
Geoff, however, was hardly at the age for admiring scenery much.Great Uncle Hoot-Toot
I had no sooner read it than, after admiring it, I felt it must be answered.A Writer's Recollections (In Two Volumes), Volume II
Mrs. Humphry Ward
However, they couldn't remain standing there admiring the table.L'Assommoir
- to regard with esteem, respect, approval, or pleased surprise
- archaic to wonder at
Word Origin and History for admiring
early 15c. (implied in admired), from Middle French admirer (Old French amirer, 14c.), or directly from Latin admirari "to wonder at" (see admiration). Related: Admiring; admiringly.