- Meteorology. the horizontal transport of atmospheric properties (distinguished from convection).
- the horizontal flow of air, water, etc.
Origin of advection
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the transference of heat energy in a horizontal stream of gas, esp of air
Word Origin for advection
C20: from Latin advectiō conveyance, from advehere, from ad- to + vehere to carry
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- The transfer of a property of the atmosphere, such as heat, cold, or humidity, by the horizontal movement of an air mass.
- The rate of change of an atmospheric property caused by the horizontal movement of air.
- The horizontal movement of water, as in an ocean current.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.