- a report on existing or predicted conditions, often with advice for dealing with them: an investment advisory.
- an announcement or bulletin that serves to advise and usually warn the public, as of some potential hazard: a health advisory; a travelers' advisory.
- an announcement from the U.S. National Weather Service to keep the public informed about the progress of a potentially dangerous weather condition: hurricane advisory; tornado advisory.Compare warning(def 3), watch(def 20).
Origin of advisory
Related Words for advisoryhelping, counseling, consultative, consultive, advising, avuncular, recommending
Examples from the Web for advisory
Contemporary Examples of advisory
And if he is re-elected, the House advisory rules prohibiting him from voting no longer apply.The Felon Who Wouldn’t Leave Congress
Ben Jacobs, David Freedlander
December 23, 2014
On Nov. 13, after years of deliberation, an advisory panel finally recommended lifting the ban, sort of.The Outrageous Celibacy Requirement for Gay Blood Donors
November 22, 2014
The whole stack was re-evaluated—a “one-time decision,” said a memo from the advisory council, due to “extraneous circumstances.”At This Creepy Libertarian Charter School, Kids Must Swear ‘to Be Obedient to Those in Authority’
October 15, 2014
The conclusions of the advisory report were spoon-fed to a friendly group of Japanese political reporters two days ago.Japanese Women Tell Their Men They Have to Choose Between Love and War
Jake Adelstein, Angela Erika Kubo
May 14, 2014
Though he had no publishing background, Ahrenberg hired consultants and asked art-world friends to be on the advisory board.The Great Book of Picasso Returns
February 15, 2014
Historical Examples of advisory
Moreover, there was to be an Advisory Council elected by popular vote.The Philippine Islands
The Association has a board of fifteen directors, and an advisory board of twelve.The Deaf
The parental influence, then, must be indirect and advisory.Searchlights on Health: Light on Dark Corners
A majority of the Advisory Commission was made up of Republicans.
This annihilates the legislature, and reduces it to an advisory body.
- giving advice; empowered to make recommendationsan advisory body
- a statement issued to give advice, recommendations, or a warninga travel advisory
- a person or organization with an advisory functionthe Prime Minister's media advisory