- a business concern in which a larger concern owns a minority stake, or in which a third concern, the parent of both, owns a majority stake or has been given control by contract: The video was reportedly broadcast on STV, an affiliate of Global Television, on September 30, 1999.
- (especially in online retail) a company that retails goods on behalf of one or more other companies, paying them a commission: Cookies are used to track a customer's progress from the website of the affiliate through to the shopping cart of the merchant.
- (in U.S. tax law) subsidiary: Development Tax Credits are not available for property owned by the taxpayer or an affiliate prior to July 3, 2000.
Origin of affiliate
OTHER WORDS FROM affiliate
Words nearby affiliate
How to use affiliate in a sentence
CNN’s, BuzzFeed’s and Wirecutter’s courses all have built-in an affiliate strategies that layer in products that are meant to help readers complete action items easier.‘The second wave’: Publishers see the value of providing education through newsletter courses|Kayleigh Barber|August 27, 2020|Digiday
The billionaire Jack Ma, best known for founding e-commerce giant Alibaba Group, also founded Ant, an affiliate of Alibaba.A fintech IPO could be the biggest ever—and it picked China over the U.S. for its debut|Naomi Xu Elegant|August 26, 2020|Fortune
Our first tests emerged from an agreement between the University of the Republic, a local affiliate of the Pasteur Institute, and our central government.No more maté sharing|Tate Ryan-Mosley|August 19, 2020|MIT Technology Review
Meanwhile, other publishers like Thrillist and The Strategist have been looking for new ways to extend their already growing affiliate businesses.How a new order of commerce is increasingly coming to the rescue for publishers with advertising challenges|Kayleigh Barber|August 17, 2020|Digiday
While affiliate links are also considered sponsored links, Google hasn’t directly made that clear yet.
“This is a federal mandate that is causing some real problems for schools across the country,” Kline told a CBS affiliate in July.The Republican War on Kale|Patricia Murphy|January 7, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Well let me tell you my experience with Health Republic and its affiliate MagnaCare.My Insurance Company Killed Me, Despite Obamacare|Malcolm MacDougall|November 24, 2014|DAILY BEAST
She had a twice-weekly cooking show on the NCB affiliate, WDSU TV in 1949-50.The Tragic History of Southern Food|Jason Berry|November 12, 2014|DAILY BEAST
But the most recent poll of the race, conducted for the Baton Rouge Fox affiliate, has Landrieu ahead of Cassidy 36 to 32 percent.How This Election Could Go to January|Michael Tomasky|October 24, 2014|DAILY BEAST
A local NBC affiliate reported that, when reached by phone, McFarland had confirmed the details of his revelation.Alabama Church Says HIV-Positive Preacher Slept With Flock|Matthew Paul Turner|October 10, 2014|DAILY BEAST
She could not affiliate with the girls of her age, and it would be too mortifying to be put with those so much younger.Helen Grant's Schooldays|Amanda M. Douglas
On this they could readily affiliate, and hold in common detestation the trinitarian power at Constantinople.History of the Intellectual Development of Europe, Volume I (of 2)|John William Draper
The Egyptians are supposed to affiliate remotely with the Semitic family.Ancient Society|Lewis Henry Morgan
You want to affiliate with her, to be one of her set, her surroundings, her monde.The Adventures of a Widow|Edgar Fawcett
Many were willing to affiliate even with conservative Republicans in order to overthrow the Radicals.Civil War and Reconstruction in Alabama|Walter L. Fleming
British Dictionary definitions for affiliate
- a person or organization that is affiliated with another
- (as modifier)an affiliate member