- a large tree, Khaya ivorensis, of western Africa, having hard wood resembling true mahogany, widely used in cabinetmaking and boatbuilding.
- any of several related or similar African hardwood trees.
- the wood of any of these trees.
Origin of African mahogany
First recorded in 1835–45
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- any of several African trees of the meliaceous genus Khaya, esp K. ivorensis, that have wood similar to that of true mahogany
- the wood of any of these trees, used for furniture, etc
- any of various other African woods that resemble true mahogany
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012