- a state in the SE United States. 51,609 sq. mi. (133,670 sq. km). Capital: Montgomery. Abbreviation: AL (for use with zip code), Ala.
- a river flowing SW from central Alabama to the Mobile River. 315 miles (505 km) long.
Examples from the Web for alabamian
Historical Examples of alabamian
Rodes's Alabamian's passed the abattis, touched the breastworks.The Long Roll
Mr. Murphy is an Alabamian, very familiar with Southern conditions.The Southern South
Albert Bushnell Hart
He was a true Alabamian and could be neither scared nor driven.Death Valley in '49
William Lewis Manly
My mother was born in Virginia and my father was an Alabamian.Slave Narratives: A Folk History of Slavery in the United States
Work Projects Administration
So the discussion waxes hot, and the dusky Alabamian has some fear, even, that his last day may be drawing very near.The Citizen-Soldier
- of or relating to Alabama or its inhabitants
- a native or inhabitant of Alabama
- a state of the southeastern US, on the Gulf of Mexico: consists of coastal and W lowlands crossed by the Tombigbee, Black Warrior, and Alabama Rivers, with parts of the Tennessee Valley and Cumberland Plateau in the north; noted for producing cotton and white marble. Capital: Montgomery. Pop: 4 500 752 (2003 est). Area: 131 333 sq km (50 708 sq miles)Abbreviation: Ala, (with zip code) AL
- a river in Alabama, flowing southwest to the Mobile and Tensaw Rivers. Length: 507 km (315 miles)
Word Origin and History for alabamian
created and named as a U.S. territory 1817 by a division of Mississippi Territory; ultimately named for one of the native peoples who lived there, who speak Muskogean. Their name probably is from a Choctaw term meaning "plant-cutters."