- the high German speech of Switzerland, Alsace, and southwestern Germany.Compare Bavarian(def 3).
- of or relating to Alemannic or the Alemanni.
Origin of Alemannic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the group of High German dialects spoken in Alsace, Switzerland, and SW Germany
- the language of the ancient Alemanni, from which these modern dialects have developedSee also Old High German
- of or relating to the Alemanni, their speech, or the High German dialects descended from it
Word Origin for Alemannic
C18: from Late Latin Alamannicus, of Germanic origin
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012