- having unlimited power; omnipotent, as God.
- having very great power, influence, etc.: The almighty press condemned him without trial.
- Informal. extreme; terrible: He's in an almighty fix.
- Informal. extremely: It's almighty hot.
- the Almighty, God.
Origin of almighty
Synonyms for almightySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for almightyabsolute, infinite, divine, everlasting, immortal, great, desperate, extreme, invincible, mighty, omnipotent, supreme, unlimited, puissant, all-powerful, boundless, celestial, deathless, enduring, eternal
- all-powerful; omnipotent
- informal (intensifier)an almighty row
- informal (intensifier)an almighty loud bang
- the Almighty another name for God
Word Origin and History for almighty
Old English ælmihtig "all-powerful," also a by-name of God; compound of æl (see all) + mihtig (see mighty); common Germanic (cf. Old Saxon alomahtig, Old High German alamahtic, German allmächtig, Old Norse almattigr), perhaps an early Germanic loan-translation of Latin omnipotens (see omnipotent).
The almighty dollar, that great object of universal devotion throughout our land." [Washington Irving, 1836]