- having unlimited power; omnipotent, as God.
- having very great power, influence, etc.: The almighty press condemned him without trial.
- Informal. extreme; terrible: He's in an almighty fix.
- Informal. extremely: It's almighty hot.
- the Almighty, God.
Origin of almighty
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
- all-powerful; omnipotent
- informal (intensifier)an almighty row
- informal (intensifier)an almighty loud bang
- the Almighty another name for God
Word Origin and History for almighty
Old English ælmihtig "all-powerful," also a by-name of God; compound of æl (see all) + mihtig (see mighty); common Germanic (cf. Old Saxon alomahtig, Old High German alamahtic, German allmächtig, Old Norse almattigr), perhaps an early Germanic loan-translation of Latin omnipotens (see omnipotent).
The almighty dollar, that great object of universal devotion throughout our land." [Washington Irving, 1836]