- (of an animal) having the highest rank in a dominance hierarchy: the alpha female of an elephant pack.
- being the most dominant, powerful, or assertive person in a particular group.
WHO SAID IT: A QUIZ ON PRESIDENTIAL WIT AND WISDOM
Origin of alpha
Words nearby alpha
Example sentences from the Web for alpha
Chris Biscardi is trying to get rid of that barrier to entry with a text editor for digital gardens that’s still in its alpha stage.Digital gardens let you cultivate your own little bit of the internet|Tanya Basu|September 3, 2020|MIT Technology Review
After that turning point, he was on his way to acceptance and became the alpha wolf.How Yellowstone wolves got their own Ancestry.com page|Susan Milius|July 21, 2020|Science News
Alpha Team was killed, Faal told the FBI, while the Bravo members who were not gunned down fled.
The conspirators were split into two teams, “Alpha” and “Bravo.”
And when that happens, one “alpha dog” will run the show, usually the oldest, most experienced performer, who “knows more tricks.”
Former RSD instructor Nathan Kole says he saw firsthand how this “alpha male” marketing can damage students.
And from the start, with top-notch production values certainly upgraded from a “YouTube video,” Alpha House did.Inside the Political Fun House: How ‘Alpha House’ Became Amazon’s First Big Hit|Kevin Fallon|October 24, 2014|DAILY BEAST
They have for the sake of convenience been called the alpha, beta, and gamma rays.A Brief Account of Radio-activity|Francis Preston Venable
I'd say, an' so, first an' last, I'd get a sort o' alpha an' omega comfort out o' the passage about no givin' in marriage.Humorous Ghost Stories|Dorothy Scarborough
No reason why it should even go to Alpha Centauri at all, in fact.Collector's Item|Evelyn E. Smith
"Now we must make ready for Alpha," said Omega, even while thoughts of the sea-monster chilled his heart.Omega, the Man|Lowell Howard Morrow
This very street was the Alpha of her public life; the market place of Rouen its Omega!The Greater Love|George T. McCarthy
British Dictionary definitions for alpha (1 of 2)
- involving or relating to helium-4 nucleian alpha particle
- relating to one of two or more allotropes or crystal structures of a solidalpha iron
- relating to one of two or more isomeric forms of a chemical compound, esp one in which a group is attached to the carbon atom to which the principal group is attached