- a Japanese diver, usually a woman, who tends underwater oyster beds used in the cultivation of pearls.
Origin of ama
- variant of -orama, occurring as the final element in compounds when the first element is a disyllable ending in -r, used so that the entire word maintains the same number of syllables as panorama: rollerama; Futurama.
- American Management Association.
- American Medical Association.
- American Motorcycle Association.
Examples from the Web for ama
Contemporary Examples of ama
“It's super boring to see people sit around and draw grids all day,” show host Ryan Devlin host explained on a reddit AMA.I Want to See Your Spreadsheets, Baby: MTV’s ‘Are You the One?’ Is a Mathematical Orgy
December 9, 2014
On Monday, Grandin participated in a Reddit Ask Me Anything (AMA), and the questions were as diverse as her career.
The most interesting personal information Grandin shared during the AMA was the sexism she faced during the start of her career.
Back in the U.S., the American Medical Association (AMA) disagrees.Activists Fight Antiquated Policy With National Gay Blood Drive
July 11, 2014
It finally happened: George Clooney appeared on Reddit yesterday to have an AMA chat to promote his latest film, Monuments Men.Best Bits From George Clooney’s Suave And Funny Reddit AMA
January 29, 2014
Historical Examples of ama
Ahcic ama; “the town on high,” built on some lofty eminence.The Annals of the Cakchiquels
Daniel G. Brinton
To sit at the feet of Theresa, the ama, is to enter the gate of story land.Fairy Tales from Brazil
Elsie Spicer Eells
And the great Fénelon took Ama nesciri for his crest and for his motto.Bunyan Characters - Third Series
“Get in quickly, Dick, and let us be going,” murmured Ama hastily.
But, Ama, you speak of ‘we,’ as though you intended to accompany me.
- American Medical Association
- Australian Medical Association