- Classical Mythology. Amalthaea.
- Astronomy. a small natural satellite of the planet Jupiter.
- a nymph who brought up the infant Zeus on the milk of a goat: in some versions she is the goat rather than a nymph.
Examples from the Web for amalthea
Historical Examples of amalthea
They fed the infant deity with the milk of the goat Amalthea.The Classic Myths in English Literature and in Art (2nd ed.) (1911)
Charles Mills Gayley
It is supposed to represent Amalthea, the goat which nursed Jupiter.Astronomical Curiosities
J. Ellard Gore
His white greyhound, Amalthea, lay at his feet, looking up at him with his soft black eyes.Frederick The Great and His Family
After due consideration of these names, certain writers unanimously adopted that of Amalthea.A World of Wonders
Jupiter himself, the greatest of all, was born in Crete, where he was suckled by the she-goat Amalthea.Legends
- Greek myth
- a nymph who brought up the infant Zeus on goats' milk
- the goat itself
- an inner satellite of Jupiter