- of or relating to the United States of America or its inhabitants: an American citizen.
- of or relating to North or South America; of the Western Hemisphere: the American continents.
- of or relating to the aboriginal Indians of North and South America, usually excluding the Eskimos, regarded as being of Asian ancestry and marked generally by reddish to brownish skin, black hair, dark eyes, and prominent cheekbones.
Origin of American
- of or relating to the United States of America, its inhabitants, or their form of English
- of or relating to the American continent
- a native or citizen of the US
- a native or inhabitant of any country of North, Central, or South America
- the English language as spoken or written in the United States
1570s (n.); 1590s (adj.), from Modern Latin Americanus, from America (q.v.); originally in reference to what now are called Native Americans; the sense of "resident of North America of European (originally British) descent" is first recorded 1640s (adj.); 1765 (n.).