- lacking definite form; having no specific shape; formless: the amorphous clouds.
- of no particular kind or character; indeterminate; having no pattern or structure; unorganized: an amorphous style; an amorphous personality.
- Petrography, Mineralogy. occurring in a mass, as without stratification or crystalline structure.
- Chemistry. not crystalline.
- Biology. having structural components that are not clearly differentiated, as the nuclear material in certain bacteria.
Origin of amorphous
Synonyms for amorphousSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for amorphousvague, nebulous, baggy, formless, inchoate, indeterminate, irregular, nondescript, shapeless, unformed, unstructured, unshaped, characterless
Examples from the Web for amorphous
Contemporary Examples of amorphous
“We got here hours ago,” says a man with a foot brace who's given up his spot in the amorphous line to sit on a folding chair.Beyonce, Jay Z & No Doubt Sing to End Global Poverty in Central Park
September 28, 2014
Not in tax dollars, not in national resources, not even in the amorphous concept of a body count.In War, What Remains
January 7, 2014
But the amorphous blend of character and character motivation somehow morphs into plot.How I Write: James McBride, The New National Book Award Winner For Fiction
December 4, 2013
How and what makes this amorphous movement step in this direction or that?Anonymous’s Next Move
April 17, 2013
Yes, mold—that slimy, amorphous crud that shows up when things get damp.Hurricane Sandy Won’t Bring a Mold Epidemic
November 4, 2012
Historical Examples of amorphous
Sulphur is known in two general forms, crystalline and amorphous.An Elementary Study of Chemistry
It is impossible to ignite there a fragment of amorphous phosphorus.Fragments of science, V. 1-2
These are (a) amorphous substances, (b) fibers, and (c) cells.Special Report on Diseases of the Horse
United States Department of Agriculture
Prince-Bishops were kittle cattle, an amorphous kind of creature.The Great North Road: York to Edinburgh
Charles G. Harper
A virus might consist not of amorphous matter, but of microscopic beings.Louis Pasteur
- lacking a definite shape; formless
- of no recognizable character or type
- (of chemicals, rocks, etc) not having a crystalline structure
Word Origin for amorphous
- Lacking definite form; shapeless.
- Lacking organization; formless.
- Lacking distinct crystalline structure.
- Not made of crystals. Glass, amber, and plastics are amorphous substances.
- Lacking definite form or shape.