- lacking definite form; having no specific shape; formless: the amorphous clouds.
- of no particular kind or character; indeterminate; having no pattern or structure; unorganized: an amorphous style; an amorphous personality.
- Petrography, Mineralogy. occurring in a mass, as without stratification or crystalline structure.
- Chemistry. not crystalline.
- Biology. having structural components that are not clearly differentiated, as the nuclear material in certain bacteria.
Origin of amorphous
Synonyms for amorphous
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for amorphously
Historical Examples of amorphously
The autobiographical part of this amorphously arranged volume is a social document of the first rank.Guide to Life and Literature of the Southwest
J. Frank Dobie
- lacking a definite shape; formless
- of no recognizable character or type
- (of chemicals, rocks, etc) not having a crystalline structure
Word Origin for amorphous
C18: from New Latin, from Greek amorphos shapeless, from a- 1 + morphē shape
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Lacking definite form; shapeless.
- Lacking organization; formless.
- Lacking distinct crystalline structure.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Not made of crystals. Glass, amber, and plastics are amorphous substances.
- Lacking definite form or shape.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.