- not alphabetic: an analphabetic arrangement of letters.
- unable to read or write; illiterate: analphabetic peoples.
- Phonetics. of or constituting a system of phonetic transcription, as the one devised by Otto Jespersen, that for each sound indicates by separate sets of symbols the articulator, the point of articulation, and the size and shape of the mouth opening.
- an illiterate person; analphabet.
Origin of analphabetic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- not in alphabetical order
- a less common word for illiterate
Word Origin for analphabetic
C20: from Greek analphabētos; see an-, alphabet
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012