- a person who advocates or believes in anarchy or anarchism.
- a person who seeks to overturn by violence all constituted forms and institutions of society and government, with no purpose of establishing any other system of order in the place of that destroyed.
- a person who promotes disorder or excites revolt against any established rule, law, or custom.
Origin of anarchist
Related Words for anarchistrevolutionary, agitator, terrorist, insurgent, insurrectionist, rebel, nihilist, mutineer, malcontent
Examples from the Web for anarchist
Contemporary Examples of anarchist
The group seems to blend “black bloc” anarchist street violence with social-media campaigns.The Monsters Who Screamed for Dead Cops
December 23, 2014
Police sources informed Reforma that both action are considered “high risk” and ripe for “anarchist infiltration.”Mexican Protesters Look to Start a New Revolution
November 21, 2014
But the bands that I was initially attracted to in punk rock were anarchist punk bands.Laura Jane Grace’s Trans Punk Rebellion
October 10, 2014
The senator from Texas and the anarchist busker from New York City have a lot more in common than you might expect.
What would you rather watch: A speech by Ted Cruz or a performance by an anarchist puppeteer?
Historical Examples of anarchist
The reports had come in: every anarchist had been exactly accounted for.
No anarchist manifestation was required by the circumstances.
The last execution at which I was present was that of Vaillant, the anarchist.My Double Life
He is an Anarchist, one of the three or four dozen Anarchists that we have in Italy.
For some time past he had been haunted by the Anarchist peril.
- a person who advocates the abolition of government and a social system based on voluntary cooperation
- a person who causes disorder or upheaval