- a record of events, especially a yearly record, usually in chronological order.
- historical records generally: the annals of war.
- a periodical publication containing the formal reports of an organization or learned field.
Origin of annals
SynonymsSee more synonyms for annals on Thesaurus.com
- a record of events of a particular year: an annal of the year 753.
- a single record or entry in a historical chronicle: A later scribe has added to the annal.
- one of the periodic formal reports of an organization or learned field: The proceedings will be published as an Annal of the Academy.
Origin of annal
Examples from the Web for annals
But birthed out of the annals of Reddit and onto heavily trafficked pop-culture sites, “Too Many Cooks” has become mainstream.There Are More 'Too Many Cooks' Where That First Fever Dream Came From
November 11, 2014
In the annals of 21st-century Latin American religion, it was a historic moment.America’s Fastest Growing Death Holiday Is From Mexico
November 1, 2014
Nothing like it had ever been pulled off in the annals of New York City crime.The High Society Bank Robber of the 1800s
J. North Conway
October 19, 2014
Filed away within the annals of the New York Historical Society, it escaped the notice of those who oversaw the archives.New York’s Century-Old Time Capsule Is a Dud
October 8, 2014
The annals of American violence include countless workplace shootings.The Muslim Convert Behind America’s First Workplace Beheading
September 27, 2014
The year 1780, was the most eventful one, in the annals of South Carolina.A Sketch of the Life of Brig. Gen. Francis Marion
William Dobein James
The battle was one of the most brilliant in the American annals.
The first volume comprises the annals of the Borgias and the Cenci.Quotes and Images From "Celebrated Crimes"
Alexander Dumas, Pere
The genealogies which you have recited to us out of your own annals, Solon, are a mere children's story.Timaeus
These "Annals" form a most intimate account of the community's progress.The Farmer and His Community
- yearly records of events, generally in chronological order
- history or records of history in general
- regular reports of the work of a society, learned body, etc
- the recorded events of one yearSee also annals
Word Origin and History for annals
1560s, from Latin annales libri "chronicles," literally "yearlies, yearly books," noun use of plural of annalis "pertaining to a year," from annus "year" (see annual (adj.)).
rare singular of annals (q.v.).